Trying to open a link or document you’re interested in? Click on any underlined document or link you need below, then click on the address that appears.
Our COMPREHENSIVE PLAN: The Town of New Hope Comprehensive Plan can be found in its entirety on the Portage County website https://www.co.portage.wi.us/department/planning-zoning/planning-section/comprehensive-planning/town-of-new-hope
- For additional information about permits, procedures, zoning, and Portage County P&Z contact information, go to: https://www.co.portage.wi.gov/683/Town-Comprehensive-Plans
BUILDING PERMITS: Wondering if you need a permit for that building or remodeling project? Please contact Portage County Planning and Zoning Department at 715.346.1334 BEFORE you begin as they issue all building permits for the entire county.
- Note that changing windows, doors, roof, siding does not need a permit unless that will change the slope, shape, or size of your current building.
- If in doubt, check it out with the Planning and Zoning Department. Zoning Permit Application Forms, Procedures and Information
BURNING PERMITS requirements in Town of New Hope change seasonally and with current conditions. Please contact the WI DNR for more information on their website: https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/forestfire/permits.
- To apply online for your FREE permit: free permit online https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/forestfire/permits
- For up-to-date burning permit requirements, go to https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/forestfire/permits and click on ‘daily burning restrictions,’ or use this link for the current burning restrictions map: https://apps.dnr.wi.gov/wisburn/#/ and click on Portage County.
In An EMERGENCY…What’s the plan? We’re working on an Emergency Plan for the Town of New Hope, and hope to have it posted for use very soon. In the meantime, check out the Portage County Emergency Management site: https://www.co.portage.wi.gov/188/Emergency-Management
GARBAGE and RECYCLING Click on the Garbage tab on our website for information about pick-up, carrier, charges, and more.
- Be SAFE: sign up for Weather and Power Outage alerts: With summer storms here and winter on the way, consider signing up for weather updates, storm warnings on the Portage Co. Community Alert System notifications page (https://portagecountycommunityalert.bbcportal.com) and power outage alerts (see Alliant Energy: My Account (https://www.alliantenergy.com/accountandbilling/customersupport/managemyaccount)
- Portage County Warming and Cooling Emergency Shelters Did you know that Portage County offers Warming and Cooling Shelters to help us deal with extreme weather? Check this link for shelters near you. https://www.co.portage.wi.us/department/sheriff-s-office/emergency-management-division/warming-and-cooling-centers
WATER QUALITY: Worried about what’s in your drinking water? Terrific resources for more information and help are:
- Portage County Planning and Zoning (715.346.1334) https://www.co.portage.wi.us/department/planning-zoning/groundwater-management
- Understanding Ground Water in Portage County Groundwater-in-Portage-County
- Portage County Residents are eligible to receive a free lab-certified water test, and may be eligible for financial assistance for a reverse osmosis treatment system Portage County WATER-Well Assistance Project 2023
- Free Water Test to any Portage County resident who uses a private well Portage County WATER Program 2023
- Free Water Testing: Portage County Planning and Zoning (715.346.1334) https://www.co.portage.wi.us/department/planning-zoning/water-resources/portage-county-water-well-owner-assistance-for-treatment-and-economic-recovery-project/water-test-registration-form
- The UWSP Water and Environmental Analysis Lab provides water testing for a nominal fee https://www3.uwsp.edu/cnr-ap/weal/Pages/Homeowner.aspx
- What are the ‘safe’ maximum contaminant levels in water for your health and how to interpret and understand those water test values? (Especially important for children and pregnant women) Wisconsin DNR https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/DrinkingWater/HealthAdvisoryLevels.html
- The DNR Well Compensation Grant Program (https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/aid/WellCompensationFAQ.html) provides funding to eligible landowners or renters to replace, reconstruct, or treat contaminated private water supplies that serve a residence or provide water to livestock.
- Nitrate Testing and Assistance Available for Private Well Users Portage County has set aside 2.3 million dollars for projects to improve access to and provide safe drinking water. A program for private residential well users includes a free lab-certified water test and for those that exceed the nitrate-nitrogen drinking water standard of 10 mg/L possibly up to $1,500 towards a reverse osmosis treatment system. Details are in the attached WATER Project Private Well Information Sheet (1) or contact: the Portage County Water Resource Specialist Office (715-346-1334) or Lindsay Benaszeski – Portage County Environmental Health Sanitarian (715-345-5771, firstname.lastname@example.org).
New Hope Sunset Lake Technical Memo from Sand Creek Consultants 11/2020 Please click on this link for information about Sunset Lake: New Hope Sunset Lake Tech Memo from Sand Creek
Noxious Weeds in our backyards: